If you witness a motor vehicle crash:
- Call 617.627.6911 (x66911 from a campus phone). Notify the dispatcher of the crash location, the number and type of vehicles involved, and if any pedestrians or bicyclists are involved.
- Advise the dispatcher of the number of injured and type of the injuries, if known.
- Look for hazards that could affect you or the responding emergency personnel (fuel, chemicals, electrical wires, etc.) and report them to the dispatcher.
- DO NOT attempt to move the injured unless it is more dangerous to leave them where they are, i.e., in the event of a car fire.
- Attempt to keep the victims calm and reassure them that assistance is on the way.
- Upon arrival of emergency personnel, notify them of the number of injured and their locations. Remain on scene until released by police.
If you are involved in a motor vehicle crash:
- Take a breath and remain calm.
- Check yourself and others for injuries. Call 617.627.6911 (x66911 from a campus phone), or 911 if off campus, to activate EMS if in doubt.
- If able, move vehicles out of traffic, to a safe place, and activate hazard lights.
- Call the local police to report the accident.
- Do not leave the scene until you have exchanged information with other motorists, or the police release you from the scene.
This guidance is about your safety. Contact your insurer for guidance on how to submit a claim.
If you are involved in a crash in a university vehicle, follow the steps above, and also report the crash to the University Police. See publicsafety.tufts.edu/fleet for more information.