Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Major Flooding

Major flooding on the campus would be the result of torrential rains, a water main failure, or from pipe freeze ups.

  • Evacuate from affected buildings and areas immediately. See the “EVACUATION” section of this guide.
  • Follow instructions from the University Police for immediate action.
  • Use extreme caution around appliances or electrical receptacles near the leak and/or water.

Minor Flooding

Minor or area flooding of the campus is a more likely scenario. This could be the result of major, multiple rainstorms or a water line break. In the case of minor, weather related flooding, the University Police will monitor the National Weather Service and the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) to determine necessary action, such as evacuation of areas and cancellation of classes. In the case of a water main failure, affected areas of the campus would have to be evacuated immediately. In this case, refer to the “EVACUATION” section of this guide.

  • Notify the University Police at 617.627.6911 (x66911 from a campus phone).
  • Secure vital equipment, records and chemicals (move to higher, safer ground). Shut off all electrical equipment (if safe to do so). Secure all laboratory experiments. When able, notify Facilities Services.
    • Boston health sciences at 617.636.3535 or x63535
    • Boston SMFA at 617.636.3535 or x63535
    • Grafton at 508.839.7921 or x87921
    • Medford/Somerville at 617.627.3496 or x73496
  • Wait for instructions from the University Police for immediate action.
  • Do not return to your building unless you have been instructed to do so by the University Police.