In the event of a campus-wide outage, Tufts has emergency generators that will immediately provide power to limited areas on campus. To report a minor, localized power outage, call Facilities Services:
Boston health sciences at 617.636.3535 or x63535
Boston SMFA at 617.636.3535 or x63535
Grafton at 508.839.7921 or x87921
Medford/Somerville at 617.627.3496 or x73496
Keep flashlights and batteries at easily accessible locations throughout your work areas and/or residence.
In case of a major, campus-wide power outage:
Follow directions from the University Police for immediate action.
If evacuation of a building is required, see the “EVACUATION” section of this guide.
Do not use candles or other type of flame for lighting.
Unplug all electrical equipment (including computers) and turn off light switches.
Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments and unplug any electrical equipment whose unsupervised operation could lead to fire, chemical release or other unplanned condition, prior to evacuating. All chemicals used in active experiment should be closed and returned to their normal storage location such as flammable storage cabinet, ventilated cabinet, refrigerator or hazardous waste storage area. If safe to do so, provide natural ventilation by opening all windows and/or doors. If this is not possible, or natural ventilation is inadequate, evacuate the laboratory until the power is returned.
If people are trapped in an elevator:
Notify the University Police at 617.627.6911 (x66911 from a campus phone).
Reassure passengers to stay calm and that you are getting help. Instruct passengers to pick up the emergency phone in the elevator so they can provide direct information to the emergency responders.
Stay near passengers until police or other assistance arrives, provided it is safe to stay in the building.
If you smell the “rotten egg” smell of gas OR hear blowing or hissing noise:
LEAVE the building immediately, spreading the word on the way out.
DO NOT use any phone inside the building.
DO NOT turn on or off any electric lights or appliances.
DO NOT open or close the windows.
DO NOT try to shut off the gas.
DO NOT light candles or other type of flame for lighting.
Notify the University Police at 617.627.6911 (x66911 from a campus phone) AFTER leaving the building.
DO NOT re-enter the building until authorized to do so by the University Police
An individual exposed to natural gas for a prolonged period of time might experience the following symptoms: dizziness, fatigue, nausea, headache, and irregular breathing. Exposure to extremely high levels of natural gas can cause loss of consciousness or even death.
Take the victim outside immediately.
Call the University Police at 617.627.6911 (x66911 from a campus phone) to activate EMS.
If the victim is unresponsive or lacks normal breathing perform CPR.