Motor Vehicle Crash

If you witness a motor vehicle crash

  • Call 617-627-6911. Notify the dispatcher of the crash location, the number and type of vehicles involved, and if any pedestrians or bicyclists are involved.
  • Advise the dispatcher of the number of injured and type of injuries, if known.
  • Look for hazards that could affect you or the responding emergency personnel (fuel, chemicals, electrical wires, etc.) and report them to the dispatcher.
  • DO NOT attempt to move the injured unless not doing so would be more 
    dangerous (e.g., in the event of a car fire).
  • Attempt to keep the victims calm and reassure them that assistance is on the way.
  • When emergency personnel arrive, notify them of the number of injured and their locations. Remain on the scene until released by police.

If you are involved in a motor vehicle crash

  • Take a breath and remain calm.
  • Check yourself and others for injuries. Call 617-627-6911, or 911 if off campus, to activate EMS if in doubt.
  • If able, move vehicles out of traffic to a safe place and activate hazard lights. Call the local police to report the accident.
  • Do not leave the scene until you have exchanged information with other motorists, or the police release you from the scene.
  • This guidance is about your safety. Contact your insurer for guidance on how to submit a claim.
  • If you are involved in a crash in a university vehicle, follow the steps above and also report the crash to the University Police.